f

Monday, October 31, 2011

My Investment Portfolio (October 2011)

October 2011 was a decent month. STI finished around 2850 points and markets recovered somewhat as confidence returned to the market. Having said that, fundamental problems like Euro debt crisis etc had yet to be solved and it will take time to see how it pans out. For this month, I have attended the following AGMs/EGMs - SGX, UIS, Guocoland, GuocoLeisure, Silverlake Axis, LippoMalls, Singapura Finance, Maveric, Viz Branz, Creative, Eu Yan Sang, Lum Chang, Olam, Latitude Tree, China Gaoxian and CFM.

There are some small changes in my top 30 holdings list this month. As I've spent most of my time attending AGMs/EGMs this month, I have not been making massive changes to my portfolio. Having said that, value stocks like Orchard Parade and United Engineers etc had appeared in my top 30 list for the first time due to my overweight position in these stocks for the past few months.

I have bought the following companies from the open market this month - Haw Par, Hiap Hoe, Hotel Grand Central, Hong Fok, Lion AsiaPac, Metro, Popular, Sing Investment, Superior Multi-Packaging, Venture and YHI. As usual, no sales transaction was made.

I have participated in the following rights issue - Nobel Design. I have accepted the following voluntary offer - Heng Long International. I have participated in the following scrip dividend schemes - DBS, Foreland Fabrictech, Jardine Strategic and OCBC. I have also converted the following company warrants to shares - 2nd Chance Properties.

Next month, I will conserve some cash for upcoming rights issues - most notably from LippoMalls and K-REIT Asia. With the year coming to an end, I don't think I will be making any major changes to my portfolio. There will also be a list of companies paying out dividends in November, which I will possibly re-invest them mostly into my existing holdings.

My S'pore Stock Portfolio - Top Holdings, cash investment only (correct as at 31 October 2011)

Top 30 Holdings (Sing$ Denominated shares)
1. Jardine C&C
2. Noble Group
3. F&N
4. SGX
5. A-REIT
6. SembCorp Marine
7. UIS
8. CapitaMall Trust
9. Bukit Sembawang Estates
10. Singapura Finance
11. Metro Holdings
12. Viz Branz
13. Sing Investment & Finance
14. Wheelock Properties
15. KepLand
16. OSIM International
17. SP AusNet
18. Bonvests
19. Hersing
20. The Hour Glass
21. Transpac Industrial Holdings
22. VICOM
23. PSL Holdings
24. ABR Holdings
25. Orchard Parade
26. Fragrance Group
27. United Engineers
28. APB
29. First REIT
30. Sarin Technologies

Top 5 Holdings (US$ Denominated shares)

1. Jardine Strategic
2. Dairy Farm
3. Hong Kong Land
4. Jardine Matheson
5. Mandarin Oriental

Top Holdings (HK$ Denominated shares)
1. Fortune REIT
2. Tan Chong International

Top Holdings (Aust$ Denominated shares)
1. AV Jennings

Top 5 Holdings (CPF OA investment)
1. Keppel Corp
2. Streettracks STI ETF
3. CapitaMall Trust
4. A-REIT
5. Challenger Technologies

My Hong Kong Stock Portfolio
1. Peace Mark Holdings - Under Voluntary Liquidation

My Unlisted Company Portfolio
1. Automated Touchstone Machines Ltd
2. Iconic Global Limited
3. Greatronic Limited
4. China Printing & Dyeing Holdings
5. General Magnetics
6. Fastech Synergy
7. Beauty China
8. Memory Devices
9. Jurong Tech
10. FM Holdings
11. Oriential Century - Under Voluntary Liquidation
12. Japan Land
13. Zhonghui

My Unit Trust Portfolio:
http://www.fundsupermart.com/main/community/Portfolio_View.svdo?id=P199

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger ZhuKoLiang said...

huat ah..

10:14 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi newbie_george,

Hope that you had stayed invested during this difficult period.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Everlearning said...

Hi ghchua,

I have always used one trading platform to buy or sell shares. The recent MF Global's misdeeds caused me to think of signing up another brokerage firm.

There is no absolute certainty in the present world of economy. When we are exposed more to mishandlings of people in power and wealth, we certainly suffer under them in one way or another.

At times, the market is so unstable and unsound because of bad news every now and then. I told myself so long I am invested in companies that are well-managed, I should be fine.

Investment is about growing one's wealth slowly and steadily. It is unlike taking bets - worse still,
taking bets from borrowing or stealing.

Take heed. The fallacies of markets and dubious investment products will continue to be rampant.

6:56 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Everlearning,

Yes. We must be mindful of financial failures of companies and also countries due to poor decisions by those involved. For companies, what I did is to diversify across a big list of companies to minimize company specific failures.

I don't use nominees or margin accounts except for CPF holdings which I have no choice. My shares are all held in CDP. I guess using the same brokerage house is ok if your shares are held inside CDP account. You can always make use of another broker to buy/sell your holdings in CDP account if there is failure in your current broker.

I don't use instruments like CFDs as the counterparty risk is real. I also avoid ETFs that use swaps.

2:00 AM  
Blogger edragon said...

Hi GH,

What are the ETFs that uses swap and how to identify them?

Thanks,

11:03 PM  
Blogger Everlearning said...

Hi ghchua,

My concern is that when the brokerage firm gets suspended due to various reasons, I might get stranded: not being able to buy/sell shares. To open another trading account with another brokerage firm takes time to process the application and later, to get use to their format.

Glad to hear that you do not use CFDs. Whoever created CFDs, swaps, dual foreign currency ... have one thing in common: to make a bet.

A few years ago, I went to deposit a foreign currency cheque. The bank officer suggested that I placed it in a dual foreign currency deposit to earn extra percentage.

I did not continue this investment because when I read through the whole pile of notes given, I realized I was actually putting bets on the rising or declining rates of the currencies. To me, it was utterly absurd.

After the one month's duration, I had this investment terminated. I received a different foreign currency. You probably know what happened.

Many more unpleasant experiences in my investments with the financial institutions have led me to seek my own investment journey.

11:30 PM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi edragon,

If you are using online trading platform, those ETFs that uses synthetic replication method like swaps are identified with a X behind the ETF name.

Example:
DBXT MSEmer 10US$X@ - uses swaps.
Nikko AM STI ETF100@ - doesn't use swaps.

4:09 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi Everlearning,

I guess what you can do is to open a few brokerage accounts now and try to navigate and get used to their online trading platforms rather than sticking to one at the current moment. Most of the online platforms are quite similar for trading on SGX.

Personally, I have three active brokerage accounts which I used frequently and another three as backup. Therefore, if one of the online platform is down, I can quickly switch to another one immediately to place my orders.

Yes, dual foreign currency deposit is really a bet between two currencies in exchange for higher interest. If your bet fails, you are left carrying the "baby" of the weaker currency, which you might not have any use for it. Anyway, I don't trust any advice from investment institutions. I make my own investment decision and uses online platforms for execution purposes.

4:22 AM  
Blogger edragon said...

Hi GH,

Thanks for your reply.

8:15 AM  
Blogger ZhuKoLiang said...

hi shifu,

how do u keep track of your trades?

do you use excel spreadshit? if yes, do you have any link for a template?

or, do you write down manually on a notebook using a pen? something like:

30Nov2011: purchased stock A 10lots at $8.88 using brokerage POOems?

31Nov: purchased StockB 4lots at $4.44 using DBAssDickers?

32Nov2011: subscribed rights, etc..

33Nov2011: received dividend from XX_counter, etc...?

6:46 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi newbie_george,

Nope. I seldom use Excel spreadsheet. The information for my buy/sell trades, rights subscription, dividend payouts etc are obtained from one source - i.e. CDP online.

7:10 PM  
Blogger FrankWong said...

Hi ghchua, can I know more about the upside of hiap hoe. I m holding some lots too. Thanks.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Ednet said...

Hi ghchua,

My sister recently bought shares with GMG Global, and they have recently announce their issues of rights. What does rights issuance means? To my understand (correct me if im wrong) it feels like the right for them to make decisions ? Is that right?

Thanks!

6:24 PM  
Blogger ZhuKoLiang said...

@Ednet,

ok this is how rights issue works:

imagine there is a big piece of round cake, cut into 10parts. u r the manager of the cake.

mr A owns 2pieces, mr B owns 5pieces and mr C own 3pieces.

Say the entire cake cost $10.
mr A's share is $2 worth, mr B is worth $5 and, mr C $3.

u, ass the manager of the cake, think u need to add in more ingredients by raising some money. Raising of money could be to make a better cake (expansion) or to pay debts, or some funny reasons.

So now, u r going to "rights issue" the cake. u tell mr A B and C, "hey i am going to issue a few more pieces of the cake, where each piece (only if u want) cost $0.7", which is a 30% disc from the current $1.

After hearing your reasons why u need to raise money,

mr A decides, ok, he shall subscribe to the rights issue of the extra cake at $0.7. so he paid up 2x$0.7.

mr B says no, he decides not to put any more money into this cake, he sells away the 5"rights". And if he is lucky to sell it at ideal price, he should get back 5x$0.3.

mr C has 3rights but only subscribed 2rights n sold the remaining 1right.

Before: the cake was 10pieces , each cost $1, total $10.

NOW, after the rights issue, the cake is 20pieces, each by theoretically speaking (TERP) should cost $1.7 per piece. the entire cake (by right), assume ceterus peribus, should be now $17.

Now u as the manager, can now use the extra $7 to purchase whatever ingredient u want, to pay debts, or unlawFOOLy swindle away the $7 and give lame excuse like your abalone ingredients in the cake has died, just like Oceanus.

1:58 AM  
Blogger ghchua said...

Hi FrankWong,

I rather not focus on the share price, but the potential on Hiap Hoe.

It is a niche developer but undervalued on all counts due to its buying of some land at good prices. The risk is high gearing, which prevents me from buying more of this counter. Its miserable dividend payout record is also a big minus for me.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:

A self-directed investor, looking to invest for retirement needs and bypass all those expensive financial planners/insurance agents. Investing is fun, profitable or most important of all, knowledge gained is useful for the rest of your life!

Powered by Blogger